Write a letter to an agent telling her how wonderful you are.
After two or three tries to complete today’s challenge, I decided I was just not willing to put a “real” agent query letter out to be viewed by the public. So, instead, I’m writing this to that hypothetical agent:
Dear Janet Agentson:
I am an aspiring writer of speculative fiction and horror. I have several short stories already published, and a series of three novels (which will hopefully lead into a longer series) dealing with urban fantasy.
Here’s why you want to represent me:
- I write excellent bad guys. I think this is, in part, because I have a hard time understanding someone just being evil, so there’s always a reason, which creates a complex, layered character.
- That reader looking for a good, strong, female character? I’m writing for her.
- As a ‘pantser,’ my stories tend be rather organic. This is both a weakness and a strength as sometimes I struggle to prune my plots into a conventional story structure, but at the same time, those wild offshoots add unique twists that would never have existed if I’d stuck to an outline.
- I write a kick ass action scene.
- My horror makes people want to leave the lights on.
- My sexy guys make people want to turn the lights down.
- My characters have unique voices.
- I can take inspiration from anything.
- I can make you laugh.
- I can make you cry.
I would love the opportunity to further discuss how fantastic I am at your convenience.
Donna A Leahey